Our church has existed here in Rotherham for well over 100 years. We moved into the current chapel on Wellgate in 1924. Having been led by a team of lay leaders for most of its history, in 1985 the church called its first paid minister and was renamed as Rotherham Evangelical Church.
However by the year 2006 the church congregation had grown quite small and the previous minister sadly died after a sudden illness. In 2008 the church invited one of its members, Ian Jones, to be the minister. Ian owned and operated a design business in the Rotherham area since 1996 but he gradually began giving more of his time to leading the church through a process of revitalisation.
It has been encouraging to see the church grow both by local people coming to faith in Jesus and by Christians in the area who have joined the church. The leadership team has also grown and the congregation is now too large to meet in the chapel on Wellgate. Our offices are still based out of the building on Wellgate and a variety of groups meet there during the week. But our Sunday services are currently held in the central Talbot Lane Methodist Church.
Today, the church is a diverse group of people that reflects the multi-cultural population of Rotherham and it is exciting to see such a wide range of ages too. There are also a number of groups that meet through the week in people's homes around Rotherham. We share a passion to be a loving and welcoming community that follows Jesus and we look forward to seeing how the future chapters of our story will unfold.